My blog (titled marathonpacks) existed in its original state from early 2005 through 2011 or so, and then moved over to Tumblr for a couple years before disintegrating altogether. I let my ownership of the domain name lapse, and now it’s a weird haunted house of bot-spam. Also, the old title, which I used in part because I thought no one would ever duplicate it, appears to be the title of a 2016 EP from a rapper named Cap 1, which is fairly surreal.
One of my favorite things to do with that old blog was edit together year-end megamixes. I used to do four of them at the end of every year, each one of them about 70 or so minutes, to fit on a CD. I would burn the CDs and bundle them together as gifts for my friends and family, because I was so very thoughtful, and also because I was a broke grad student. Remember CDs?
I made this mix in December 2006. I still think it slaps pretty hard, and I’m happy with the transitions. I’m still looking for the other three.
- OOIOO “UMO” (Taiga – Thrill Jockey)
- New Sound of Numbers “Minimal Animal” (Liberty Seeds – Cloud Recordings)
- Yo La Tengo “The Room Got Heavy” (I Am Not Afraid of You And I Will Beat Your Ass – Matador)
- Casiotone for the Painfully Alone “Young Shields” (Etiquette – Tomlab)
- Matmos “Steam and Sequins for Larry Levan” (The Rose Has Teeth in the Mouth of the Beast – Matador)
- Fujiya & Miyagi “Collarbone” (Transparent Things – Tirk)
- Persephone’s Bees “City of Love” (Notes from the Underworld – Columbia)
- Justin Timberlake “Damn Girl” (Futuresex/Lovesounds – Jive)
- Stereolab “Interlock” (Fab Four Suture – Too Pure)
- CSS “Let’s Make Love and Listen to Death from Above” (CSS – Sub Pop)
- Tom Zé “Ave Dor Maria” (Estudando O Pagode – Luaka Bop)
- American Watercolor Movement “Flowers for Catalan” (It Takes Fifteen To Tango In My Book, What Book Do You Read? – self-released)
- TV on the Radio “Wolf Like Me” (Return to Cookie Mountain – 4AD)
- Califone “A Chinese Actor” (Roots and Crowns – Thrill Jockey)
- The Flaming Lips “The Sound Of Failure” (At War With The Mystics – Warner Bros.)
- Sonic Youth “Do You Believe in Rapture?” (Rather Ripped – Matador)
- Hanne Hukkelberg “Break My Body” (Rykestrasse 68 – Propeller Recordings)